Monday, September 1, 2008

What Kind of Day Is It?


What kind of day is it for you? Really, what do you see?

I was born in 1969, after President Kennedy and Dr. King were assassinated. Oh, but I must have heard dozens of stories of what the presence of those two brought to this country. I remember my grandfather told me that he for the first time felt that there was going to be a country where 'blacks" did not have to fight for basic necessities or they could feel safe (feel safe). I remember being a little girl looking into my grandfather's eyes trying to catch the excitement he must have felt during those times. As I watched the Democratic Convention last week, I think I caught a glimpse of that hope, my grandfather spoke of. I think I have always been searching for that excitement, that opportunity to make a difference, that chance to be different. I think my life successes have been because of that hope my grandfather felt and was willing to share with me. Oh, do I wish he was here today, I wish he could experience the excitement that is upon us today.

Regardless of your political affiliation, you saw a couple that did not have all the advantages in life; choose to make something of their life and the lives of others. You saw a women support her husband and a husband appreciate it. You saw two children without a care in the world because their parents love each other, love them and this country. You saw the state of this country, a country that needs change.

Mr. Biden is the picture perfect view of a loving and supportive father, grandfather and husband. We saw an elder statesman in Joe Biden, as we should have seen in the Rev. Jessie Jackson. Early in the presidential election, Mr. Biden also ran for that top seat but now with grace and pride he is running for vice president. Mr. Biden has been on this earth longer, in the Senate longer and probably has had more life experiences than Mr. Obama, but yet in his wisdom he sees that the much younger Obama is the right leader for this country.
We see a country ready to elect a man regardless of his color and an elder willing to say someone younger may have the answer. One day, my grandchildren will look into my eyes hoping to catch my excitement, just as I looked into my grandfather’s eyes almost 30 years ago. It is a beautiful day.

No comments: